Global Campaign: GEC Purchaser Commitment
Join your colleagues in the GEC Purchaser Commitment to demonstrate the global impact institutional purchasers have on sustainability. Make the commitment today to purchase sustainable and circular technology and services!
Make the Commitment
The GEC Purchaser Commitment is a multi-year global campaign that leverages the power of purchasing to collectively make a positive impact on People and Planet. The commitment asks organizations and individual purchasers to commit to purchasing sustainable and circular technology and services, invest in people, and increase transparency. Many organizations have already committed to purchasing sustainable and circular IT products and services; this campaign seeks to recognize the good work already being done by institutional purchasers, as well as encourage others to start.
CEP Affiliate Project
The GEC Purchaser Commitment is an affiliate project of the Circular Electronics Partnership (CEP) comprised of leaders from the technology sector.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the deadline to make a pledge?
While there is no deadline to make a commitment, we will be featuring this year’s signees at our side event taking place during the UN Climate Change Conference (COP26) in Glasgow, Scotland in early November. Organizations who make the pledge by October 18th will be highlighted at the event.
What sort of data/reporting requirements are expected of organizations that pledge? How will GEC actually hold organizations who sign the pledge accountable? Are we going to be collecting data on an annual basis?
Organizations are not required to submit data to GEC regarding their voluntary commitment. However, to receive recognition for their efforts and achievements, organizations have the opportunity to share with GEC their annual percent spend on sustainable and circular technology products and services.
Annually, GEC will send out a short survey to the commitment participants to report on their progress, including any updates to their internal programs, the number of trainings for staff, and other metrics. This information will be featured on a global tracking map that is part of the Global Purchaser Network.
Commitment #3 of the campaign, “Increase Transparency,” encourages organizations to report on their progress within their annual Sustainability Reports.
Will there be meetings or events that organizations that have signed the pledge must attend?
Next year, there will be gatherings (either in person or virtually) for signees to promote best practices, share success stories, and network. These will be voluntary.
Aside from actually submitting the form, what else is involved?
Submitting the form is the first step. Later this year, GEC will launch the Global Purchaser Network. We will encourage all Commitment signees to join one or more of the groups on the Global Purchaser Network, where the Commitment’s activities, meetings, resources, networking, and collective impact results will be accessible. As the Commitment is a multi-year campaign, the community will continue to grow, as will the activities for participants.
Our reliance on technology and the amount of IT products we use continues to increase causing negative impacts, such as climate change and e-waste. By purchasing sustainable and circular technology and services, we can address those impacts at scale and collectively make a better world for everyone.
The GEC Purchaser Commitment seeks to leverage the power of purchasing to help mitigate climate change and reduce e-waste.
in climate change
It takes energy to manufacture, use, and dispose of technology. Increased energy demand equates to an accelerated increase in GHG emissions.
The volume of existing and new types of technology grows every year. With this growth comes an ever increasing amount of electronic waste.
Your purchasing decisions impact e-waste, GHG emissions, and social and economic equality. You and your organization can be necessary sustainability change agents by committing to purchase sustainable and circular technology and services; train and expand the purchasing workforce; and transparently share your actions to motivate others. We welcome both public and private sector organizations to make the commitment in order to have the largest impact.
The time is now. The world can’t wait!
Leverage my purchasing power:
You can help mitigate climate change and reduce e-waste by choosing to purchase sustainable and circular technology and services. Make your commitment today.
- 2022: 25% of annual technology spend dedicated to sustainable and circular technology and services.
- 2030: 50% of annual technology spend dedicated to sustainable and circular technology and services.
- 2050: 100% of annual technology spend dedicated to sustainable and circular technology and services.
Invest in people:
A sustainable organization is one in which every aspect of its operations has sustainability at its core. Become a truly sustainable organization and make your commitment today.
- Train: Increase sustainability and circularity training of existing staff in procurement, sourcing, logistics, and supply chain.
- Hire: When hiring for new positions in procurement, sourcing, logistics, and supply chain, feature sustainability and circularity as a part of the new job announcements
- Pursue vendor diversity: Actively pursue vendors that would allow for economic opportunity and equality for women, minorities, indigenous, and small/medium businesses to meet the supply chain, logistics, and alternative sourcing needs of an e-commerce driven, post-COVID world.
Reporting sustainability metrics is deemed a credibility requirement by many shareholders, employees, and customers. Meet the demand of your stakeholders and make your commitment today.
- Report: Publicly report your annual technology spend percentage dedicated to sustainable and circular technology products and services.
- Inspire: Make your GEC Purchaser Commitment public by agreeing to include your name and logo as part of the campaign to encourage others to sign on and build a strong network of institutional purchasers who share this vision.
- Share Impact: Share campaign-related successes with GEC for the purpose of receiving recognition for your efforts, such as achievements made toward your commitment.
YOU CAN REACH YOUR COMMITMENT
THROUGH THE USE OF ECOLABELS
We believe through the use of existing ecolabels, purchasers globally can already engage in the procurement of credible, sustainable, and circular technology products and services.
The GEC Purchaser Commitment seeks to create a collective demand signal to the market by leveraging the use of existing ecolabels. By leveraging existing ecolabels, purchasers have access to the widest range of credible sustainable technology products being put into the market by global brands, as well as by local and small businesses.
Available Ecolabels for technology products:
- Circular Electronics Partnership Roadmap Launch
- GEC & ERA Public Sector Purchasing Course (Virtual)
- GEC & ERA Private Sector Purchasing Course (Virtual)
- Circular & Fair ICT Pact launch event (Virtual)
- EPEAT Purchaser Awards (Virtual)
- GEC & Security and Sustainability Forum Webinar Series: “Leveraging the Power of Sustainable and Circular Procurement” (Webinar)
- GEC & ERA Public Sector Purchasing Course (Virtual)
- GEC & Security and Sustainability Forum Webinar Series – Sustainable Consumption at COP 26: Implementing SDG 12 (Webinar)
- A Night Out with GEC (Virtual)